Sunday, August 17, 2014

Hobble Creek Half - Melody

I had no goals for this race and very low expectations for myself.  I've done a handful of 5ks since the baby was born, but a half marathon is a totally different story.

I decided to see how I felt and then go with it.  I went out a bit too fast and I kept expecting to shut down and thankfully I never did.

I ran the first 7 miles closely behind a girl from the Utah Run a Elite team.  I probably would have been a lot more conservative if I was by myself, but I'm sure I would have gotten a slower time too.  It's easy for me to use the baby as an excuse to slow down.  She started to pull away by the golf course so at that point I just tried to focus on the race and people just ahead of me instead of the dead legs I had.   The last 3 were very tough due to my lack of endurance but I was able to pick off a couple people and that kept me mentally in check.  I was thrilled with my time - I really didn't expect to break 1:25, so the 1:22 and 7th place was a nice surprise.

I was lucky to run into Devra on my cool down and got to hear about her fantastic race.  Great job Sojourners!

No comments: