Saturday, October 18, 2014

BYU Homecoming Cougar Run

I was excited that I was able to do this race.  After running Trial @ Trail 51 my right arch was really sore and then it started feeling like plantar fasciitis.  I've had this injury a couple times and both times took several months to recover.  I just took this last week really easy, cross trained on an elliptical, stretched a ton, took ibuprofin, and slept with the Strassberg Sock. By Friday night I was feeling 95% better.  I had no problems with the injury during the race.

I could tell before the race that it was going to be competitive and that I wouldn't have a chance at winning.  Bobby Gruenewald and Taylor Farnsworth were going to go 1 and 2, but I figured it might be a good fight for the other top spots.  The first half mile was all uphill and I just decided to not push this part.  I didn't expect being in what seemed like 50th place though.  I started going faster when a girl tried passing me.  I hammered it on the downhill along 9th east and moved up to probably 8th. The last half of the race I just tried to hang on to the guys in 4th and 5th. It came down to the final kick, where I was edged out at the finish line.  I am satisfied with my time of 16:16, but I think the course may have been slightly short.

No comments: