Monday, December 1, 2014

Mesa Turkey Trot 10k- Jason Thomsen

First of all, it was so great getting to get out of the cold for a few days and head down to Arizona to be in the warmth! The drive down had me a little worried because my calves kept tightening up in the car and I was worried sitting in a car for 10 hours the day before the race was going to jeopardize things. The Mesa Turkey Trot 10K is one of my favorite races because of how well organized it is and how much professionalism is present in everything they do.  This was my third year doing the race so I knew there would be some decent competition there as well. As I made my way to the starting line, I bumped into Golden Harper and he and I chatted a bit. We were both going for around the same time so I knew I had someone to work with.
As the gun went off, I made my way to the front of the pack with ease. There were two guys in the lead pack about 10 meters in front of the next pack which consisted of me, Golden and a younger kid from the Yuma Track Club. We were all in a single file line the whole first mile. I didn’t know what to think because usually at this race there are guys going out blazing fast and so in my mind I guess that’s what I thought was happening but in all reality, our first mile was rather conservative: 5:38. As soon as we hit the mile mark, there was about a group of 4 or 5 that went right around us. They were going a little faster than what I could get my legs going and so over the second mile they put about 15 meters on me. By mile three I could feel myself getting into a groove and I wasn’t losing distance anymore. The lead pack and the chase pack then dissolved into one group over the next half mile or so until the eventual winner made his move. The pack then blew up and stretched back out and I was able to catch a couple of the guys.  By mile 4 I was starting to feel tightness in my hamstrings and I was just trying to put one foot in front of the other and when I hit the 5 mile mark, my pace had slipped back to a 6:07 mile. Thankfully, two runners came up beside me pushing hard and I just gave it all I had to stick with them and let them pull me into the finish.
Overall, it was a fun race. I was pleased with how I faired and how my time turned out. It was a bonus beating two females who were recognized over the microphone by their qualifying for the Olympic Trials in the marathon and were decked out (and I am assuming sponsored) by Brooks. I hadn’t really done any true speedwork up to this point besides a couple of 20-minute tempo runs and just 800s kind of sporadic so the fact I set a new PR off of mainly mileage was a good indicator that things are going in the right direction!

Time: 35:15
Overall: 8th out of 2000
Division: 1st in the 20-24 division

5:38-5:43-5:40-5:55-6:07-5:47







No comments: