Sunday, April 26, 2015

Tulip Festival Half Marathon

This race is incredible and comes with a couple of tickets to see the tulips which gave me major brownie points with my wife. However, I really did this one to chase the prize money which ran three deep. Leading up to the race it didn't seem like any standouts had signed up and I was thinking I had a good chance for the purse. Too bad it all changed in the 11th hour. Brett Hales, Taylor Farnsworth, and Jace Nye all decided the purse was too good to pass up too.

Anyway, the race started out well. I decided to out conservatively because that's my style and I have been really struggling with gassy stomach cramps for about the past six months in my races. I thought easing into a faster pace would be helpful. I was happy to run with Trevor Baker for the first few miles along with a couple high school runners who  really should have been focusing on their track season.

A few miles in Trevor made a move and I tried to follow. I noticed immediately that this brought on the dreaded side aches. I had to hold back and tried burping the gas out which probably annoyed Trevor and the high school kids. For some reason Trevor had a pretty bad day and lost steam almost immediately after making his move. I tried catching up to the fifth place runner, but it never happened. I gradually pulled away from the high school kids and race a lonely race four about nine miles out in no man's land. I tried to pick up the pace several times but this only flared up the side aches. I ended up with in sixth with a 1:20:44.

I am still optimistic about the rest of the races this year, but I need to get a handle on the gas. If anyone has any suggestions I am very open. The morning of the race I ate about 1/4 cup of mashed sweet potatoes a little more than an hour before the race and then ate a GU about 25 minutes later. I was hydrated, but I only sipped on small amounts so I wouldn't get logged. The night before was PF Changs, but I tried to stay away from greasy foods and too many veggies. Please send your advice on what has worked for you. I don't know why this is an issue for me after 15 years of running.

Also, Congrats to Melody, Josh, and Derrick who all race well.

No comments: