Sunday, July 12, 2015

Bryce Canyon Half Marathon

I mostly did this race for the prize money that they offer five deep, otherwise I wouldn't travel three hours. I must say, though, this is a stunning course and definitely worth the drive. At the starting line I saw Brett Hales and John Coyle and thought that third would have to be my reasonable goal. Brett took off from the get go like he always does, but John decided he wanted to talk with me for the first couple miles which were both flat. Miles 3&4 were pretty steep downhill and I actually left John behind because I wanted to take advantage of these miles that I considered to be free. Unfortunately after the steeper part I felt my side ache start to come on so I just prayed (possibly literally) that it wouldn't flare up. I just tried to hold on to a decent pace and breathe rhythmically to see if that would help. It was at this point that John blew by me. The conservative pace and rhythmic breathing helped with the side ache, but I think I lost my mental edge in the process. I ran in no man's land for the last two-thirds of the course. I found out after I finished that some guy from Flagstaff almost snuck up on me at the end.  I am still trying to put together a decent half that I'm proud of, but running alone, the far distance, and the side aches seem to be telling me that I might be more cut out for 5Ks and 10Ks right now.  

Overall Place: 3rd (of 938)
Time: 1:12:38

Displaying 20150710_205654.jpg

No comments: