Sunday, August 30, 2015

Gruesome Grizzly 8k- Melody

Unofficially 36:22 (from my watch)
1st overall, broke the course record by 4 sec

I hadn't done this race since I was 12 weeks pregnant with my 3rd baby five years ago.  Because I was pregnant I didn't push it super hard so I was excited to see what I could do.

It is always fun to jump in theses trail races because they challenge and push me in different ways than a road race.  I am not a strong hill runner so I wasn't sure how I'd feel knowing you climb climb climb those first 2 miles.  I got in a good position from the start and pretty much stayed there the entire race - being passed in the first mile by Kyle and passing a guy after the Grizzly.

I knew I'd probably hike most of the Grizzly and it helped that I saw everyone in front of me doing the same.  When I finally got to the top I was so happy to be on flat terrain again.  I got my pace down under 6 for a bit, but once we turned down to the single track I backed off my pace.  I'm a wuss on the downhills- that's something I really need to work on.   

Kyle was a little bit ahead of me and kept me going- especially when there was that surprise hill about a mile from the finish.  I liked the flat fast finish- I was tired but not completely wasted.  It's hard to pace trail runs!  Thanks Cascadia Trail Series for another great race.

No comments: