Sunday, August 2, 2015

Parowan Half - Robert Finicum

One of the prettiest half marathons out there. It starts up by a beautiful lake in the mountains so my wife, baby, and I made a camping trip out of it. The campground was right next to the starting line which was awesome. After the race I realized the one downside to this setup; I put my shorts on inside-out from dressing myself in the dark.

Honestly, I was cocky that I would be able to win the race without any problems. I figured nobody would go all the way down to Parowan for a small half marathon. What I didn't consider was that there may already be fast people in southern Utah. The race started with an old looking guy taking a commanding lead. When we got to a downhill portion I passed him up, but then he passed me again when it flattened out. We did the exact thing again at the next steep downhill portion. However, when he passed me again he never looked back. The last mile was uphill and it absolutely killed me physically and mentally. I gutted through it and knew that for the most part, I gave the race my all.

I found out that the old guy was actually a couple years younger than I am. He's a 27 year-old named Clinton Rhoton that just graduated from SUU where he competed on their XC team. This helped me feel better. I got a major PR, but it was downhill the entire way and was only about 13.05 miles.

Place Overall: 2nd
Time: 1:10:19



No comments: