Thursday, April 10, 2014

2014 SHAC Triathlon, Sprint
Spoiler Alert, I did pretty good!

            Another interesting and first with this one. I had to do this race as I had missed the Snow Canyon ½ and needed my 2nd event for the STG runner’s series.
            A few years ago I had purchased an old Trek bike. Several of the guys I work and run with had kept trying to talk me into doing a triathlon. I had been on the swim team for the first year and a half of high school. I was not at all good at it. My wife tells me that I choose the wrong sport; I should have been on the track or cross-county team.
I had toyed with the idea for a couple of years now. I just didn't ever seem to have the time to add the bike and swim training that I felt I would need to do as good as I wanted. Somehow this year, probably the busiest of my life, I finally compete in a triathlon?
Since the Spectrum 10k in March I had ramped up my run training. I wasn't too worried about this part of the event. I decided I would need at least some time for the other 2 parts. On March 24th, I got on the bike on the stationary trainer for the first time in a year. I did an additional 3 short stints on the bike. On April 1st I hit the pool for the first time in over 2 years. I got in 2 other short swims.
On April 3rd I did an indoor mini test triathlon. I went to the rec. center. I swam 400 yards I then went up and did 5 miles on one of the spin bikes. Lastly I ran around the indoor track for just over a mile. I felt a bit more at ease after that.
I was super worried about the transitions and just doing the 3 sports back to back. I pulled up YouTube and found the 2011 Kona Ironman. I sat on the couch and watched the whole condensed show. Several times my wife looked over and just shook her head. I think she knew that the more difficult/tough the event, the more likely I would be to see what I could get myself to do.
Racing and competition is a real driving force in my life. I have always wanted to go fast and if possible faster than the next person. I raced horses as a kid, it helped to be very small. I then road raced motorcycles in the early 90's. After a couple of championships with the U.S.B.A. I stopped to raise kids and spend my money on more than tires, brakes and fuel.
Since I took up running the competition has been fulfilling, but it is the training that I crave. I enjoy pushing my body to do what it could not do before. Suffering is the essence of life and the down payment for later results.
The family and I drove down to STG Friday evening. I picked up my packet at the SHAC. I asked everyone I could about any and every aspect of the event. I wanted to make sure I did not break any triathlon etiquette. I was really freaked and apprehensive. Just before we walked out a person came up and told me they needed to “mark” me. I had totally forgotten about this. They put a big 66 on my arm and leg. “Sweet” I thought, this means good things as I was born in 1966!
We went back to my aunt’s place where I placed the placard on my bike and started trying to figure out the transitions. As usual I had brought many options. I had 4 different pairs of shoes, and all kinds of different clothing options. I finally got things settled and got in bed around midnight.
The alarm went off at 5:45. I got up and ate at 6. My wife drove me over so that I could be there by 7. I saw a few guys with what looked like pretty high-end bikes. I asked anyone I could if I was placing my items correctly. I was now pretty hopped up. I always get so nervous the last 30 minutes before an event.
This event is different than most in that you just all line up for the swim. When a lane opens up you jump in and start the event. I met a couple of great people as we stood in line waiting our turn. The event officially started at 09:00. I crossed the starting mat at 09:33. No flip turns for me. I just went at a comfortably hard pace. I completed the swim in 7:54. Like I said, I shouldn't have been on the swim team.
Out of the pool and run to the bike. By now I am “into” the event and I feel more like a robot following the instructions in my head. Socks, shoes, jersey, sunglasses, helmet, gloves, move the Garmin then push/run the bike out to the T line. I had never done or practiced a transition so it went well I guess. T1 time 1:36.
It is quite the uphill from the SHAC out to the road. There are also a couple of good hills on the out-and-back course. Last year I guess I had dreamed of doing a triathlon because I had purchased a used aero helmet. It looks cool also. I pushed hard on the bike. I passed quite a few people. That was motivating. I may have pushed it too hard on the bike though. The Sprint tri does 2 loops of the bike route. At least I knew it the second time around. At the bottom of one of the bigger hills you make a sharp right turn. I found myself flying through the turn. As I went through I wondered why everyone was pointing at me until I realized that I had my knee hanging out just like the old motorcycle days. I did the 10 miles of the ride in 31:04. That’s an average speed of 19.6. I am happy with that.
Now off the bike, remove gloves, helmet, change shoes add Runner’s Corner singlet, take a drink then go. T2 time 22 seconds.
Wow, the legs are not working. I was told to spin fast on the bike for the last little bit to loosen the legs. I guess I didn't do enough. The legs feel like hinge-less wooden pegs. The run has an uphill beginning just like the bike did. The course is a 1.5 mile out-and-back. Once again I have to do it twice. No one passes me and I pass several people during the run. It is all a bit confusing though with so many people at different parts of the race. You never really know where you are compared to anyone else around you. Just smile and wave. I feel like a turtle during the run. I push as hard as I can, the legs just don’t want to move in a running motion. Now I know why people do these “brick” workouts. It would have been nice to know what to expect physically! For the finish you go past the 2nd turn around point. It goes from pavement to a steep short downhill dirt path. Then just 100 yards to the finish. Pretty crappy overall pace for a 5k, though my splits did improve as the run went on. 6:21, 6:14, 6:08, and I dropped it to just over 5:00 for the last ¼ mile sprint to the finish.
Now the wait. Because it was scored by aggregate chip time your placing could change at any moment when someone else crosses the line.
I decided to go back to the run turn around to encourage the people I had met earlier. I ended up working the water table for a while. I also ended up with several helmets. Seems people forget to remove them in T2, right Jen? I ran the last 100 yards a couple of time with several people. This is one of my favorite things to do.
It was a great experience, 3 events in one, what a great idea. I think I am hooked. I am now looking to see what triathlons I can fit into my schedule.
Monday they finally had the results posted. I am taking it as a good omen for things to come. No real specific practice but a great result.
            Results, 1:01:15 total time. 6th overall and 1st in age group, and Masters, if they do that. I was only 5 minutes behind the winner.

Place Bib# Name            Swim     T1      Bike     T2       Run     Finish         Chip 
6    66   Eppley, Curtis   07:54.9 01:36.6  31:04.398  22.455  20:17  10:34:59.115  01:01:15

            So you will now see me doing a bit more cross training in the pool and on the bike. “Brick” will become something more than just what my home is made of.

Curtis Eppley

"It's supposed to hurt like Hell"

No comments: