Monday, April 14, 2014

2014 Vineyard Duathlon

- I completed my first duathlon this weekend.  I was quite nervous since I’ve only been riding twice this year and only a few more than that if you count last year. :-/  This was the perfect challenge for me though, no drowning! The race included a 5k, 15 mile bike ride, and then ended with another 5k.  The first 5k went well but nerves made it really difficult trying to untie my double knotted shoes during the first transition. I headed out on the bike and kept a steady pace.  My legs started to tire but my breathing never got heavy.  Near the end a few people passed me including one female.  Once again the shoe thing was hard, trying to get them on and then double knot them while I was shaking and off balance. I was a little worried about running after a bike ride but just figured running is what I like to do so it shouldn’t be a problem.  Holy crap, I wasn’t sure how I was going to run again, I could barely walk!  I started trying to run and though my stride seemed to get smoother as I continued I felt like I was running through sand the entire time.   I was able to pass a couple of males and then in the last mile I caught up to the female racer who passed me on the bike.  I kept the lead and came through first (female) with a time of 1:30:42.  The best part, my winnings included tri shoelaces!

Melissa Terpenning

No comments: