Sunday, April 27, 2014

2014 Thanksgiving Point 5k - *Course Record* -- Trevor Baker

Overall Time: 16:11 - Course Record
Overall Place: 1st
Overall Place in Age Division: 1st

I've been trying to figure out when I was going to open the racing season for a while.  I loved running in the Thanksgiving Point Half last year and think Kendall just does an amazing job.  There's always great competition, great volunteers and it's and honest course.  I wanted to feel what it's like to race again as I haven't ran an all out race since Des News Half last year so whether I was going to tactically race or give it an all out effort it'd be good to be in the environment again.  This week has been tough coming off a cold, moving all our crap into storage and moving the fam to Idaho, as well as studying and taking finals so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Josh McCabe and Derick Moody also were running.  With the conditions, I decided not to just push it from the gun and see how the race developed.  Derick took the early lead and we settled into a tempo like effort up the hill.  Josh trailed off the back.  When we hit the top of the hill I realized that Derick and I could start pushing the pace and just take Josh out of the race, or just keep cruising knowing Josh would catch up.  I'm confident in my finishin ability so I decided to just keep trailing Derick for another mile and see how I felt. The 2nd mile had a couple twists and turns I was worried about slipping and falling, so we just took it really relaxed through this mile.  There was a 180 turn right after the 2 mile mark and for some reason Derick kept going straight for a couple meters. I called him back quickly, but at this point since I had took over the lead by default I decided to just punch it.  At this point Josh was just sitting 10 meters back if that.  I started opening up just nice and controled and could hear Josh reeling me in.  I just tried to keep it controled.  At the bottom of the hill I just maintained the pace through the flat section and felt really good.  I wasn't red lining or anything, just felt smooth.  Made the turn up the hill and towards the finish and kicked it up a notch and could see I had the race.  Great atmosphere and good to see Josh and Derick as I don't get to see them as much since I've been up in SLcounty the past couple years.  Good to hear that Bret, Jon, Steve and Jace had good races in the Half and I look forward to running the Half again next year when I'm more prepared for it.

Though this wasn't an all out effort, I got to be in a race environment and had to make quick decisions and will prep me for an all out 5k here in another month or so whether it's a race or time trial on the track.  Splits were 5:17, 5:29, 4:51, (34 last .13) for a 16:11 which is a course record.  The most important indicator is that the last flat 1/2 a mile felt so smooth and didn't have to dig deep to maintain the pace.  I think I'm ready for a sub 15:20 attempt with another month of good training.



2 comments:

tycole said...

Nice trevor! Sweet that you got a course record!

TandAA :) said...

Great job on course record, love the pic of all you 3!