Thursday, April 24, 2014

Danya - Boston Marathon 2014

Boston Marathon 2014

Danya- Time 3:12:10

Last Monday I had the opportunity to run the Boston Marathon.  This was not a race for me; I ran it as an extended long run. I am training for another spring marathon. I am not sure if that was such a good idea but I guess I will find out in a month or so :).  I was assigned wave 1, corral 2 but instead I started at the very back of corral 8 so I wouldn’t be tempted to go out too fast.  This was a great experience from start to finish.

On a more personal note… I was at the start and the announcer made a statement that was very profound to me. He said “Take Back The Finish Line!”  That statement stuck with me, there are several reasons why running Boston this year was so important to me, but I would have to say TAKING BACK THE FINISH LINE was the biggest.  I was at the Marathon last year where so much was taken away from so many.  This year the whole marathon felt like a celebration, like we were all united in one purpose. It felt like a storming of the gates, like we were all taking a stand for what is right.  As I ran the last few miles, which are usually the worst in the marathon. They were by far the best! I was celebrating every step,  remembering what was taken away and rejoicing in taking it back.
This is one marathon that I didn’t want to end.



No comments: