Thursday, July 24, 2014

Deseret News Classic 10k

Kassi Harmon
7th place
36:32

Got up early enough to get in a really good warm-up, because I knew I would need it for the race.  First thing (4:40 am), I drank a glass of water and ate some PB bread.  Then at 5:05 I ran 3.5 miles easy around the area and came back to our apartment and got Tanner and Lee to go up to the race start.  So nice to have the race start right by us!

I rushed to the starting line and saw Amber and Crystal ready to go.  After 1 stride, the race started! Everyone took off, tons of girls ahead of me, which put me in like 30th place.  I felt pretty good, but already breathing hard after the first mile, it feeling a little fast for me.  Little by little I picked girls off, and then got close to passing 2 more in the last stretch, but I finished 7th.

Pacing was pretty good throughout, and I ran a couple minutes faster than I thought I could.  It was super warm up and I should have taken a cup to drink at some point.  Then I ran back to find Tanner and Lee and ran in with him the last 400.  He did great pushing Lee and dodging people!

My legs were pretty beat after, so I was dragging during my cool-down.  I got in about 2 miles.  I saw so many great friends and runners!  This is one of my favorite events!  After, we walked home and took a break, I tried to take a nap, but just ended up lying there for an hour.  I can never nap after a race!

Splits: 5:36, 5:41, 5:59, 5:51, 5:49, 6:12, 1:24 (.22).  AP 5:53.  The course was right on!



No comments: