Thursday, July 24, 2014

Mapleton 5k- Melody

The Sojourners represented today with overall wins for the men (Dave) and women (myself).  I usually run Des News but with a nursing baby I had to find a race closer to home.  This was a well organized, accurate, time chipped and fairly close to home so it was perfect for me.

The course is deceivingly difficult.  Although one might argue it's pretty flat, the elevation changes as slight as they might have been really affected me.  It was also pretty hot for a 7am race and the wind was swirling.  Luckily Dave warned me about the wind tunnel and he told me exactly what to expect.  

I didn't feel fresh today and was sure I wouldn't get a post baby PR, but I surprised myself by taking 20+ seconds off my time. 

I was in the lead for the women the entire race and had a couple guys not far off ahead that I was able to keep focused on.  I even went nose to nose with a guy at the end and that helped me shave off a few seconds too.  

I'm still pretty far off of where I was a year ago but I've been making some steady progress so I'll take it!  

No comments: