Monday, August 18, 2014

Hobble Creek Half Marathon -- Trevor Baker

Overall Time: 1:12:53
Overall Place: 11th
Place in Age Group - 4th

This race was a good experience today to really help me be accountable to my training and begin to move forward from where I'm at.  This was most arguably the worst half marathon I've ever ran, but I knew that could be the result from the start.  I'm not mad or frustrated about anything today, just didn't have the fitness to compete as well as I want.  I'm not close to being ready for a marathon yet, but hopefully can improve fitness to be able to hack it.

Started out semi aggressive just off the back of the chase pack and ran with Mike Nelson for the first 2.5 miles, then solo for a few, ran with Jake Howell and Rory for another 2 miles or so, then I had some GI issues right after Justin Park flew by me, had to stop, not sure how long exactly, but it it was well over a minute for sure maybe closer to 2.  Got back on the trail and got past rather quickly and really coasted it in from there.  It was a rougher day for me, but I now know where my fitness is and what I need to do to really get to where I need to be.  I after today, I'm still thinking a sub 2:30 is realistic in 7-9 weeks, and with my training been where it has, I think if I can get a good block in the fitness will come back quickly.  Glad to be living in Saratoga/Lehi area now so I can train with the Utah County crew as my school schedule will permit.  Really looking forward to drop under 2:30 in the marathon, and hopefully have a big year next year and drop down to the lower 2:20s.

Many had great races.  I hope Bret Hales will take the time and go get qualified for the Olympic Trials.  Jason Holt is running well, and I think he'll have a great fall.  Matt is looking great.  It wasn't the race he was looking for, but I still think he can place very very well at SGM this year.  Mike ran outstanding and I think he'll have a great marathon showing this fall as well.  Met Jacob Howell today.. What a guy.  Class act.
Thanks to Runner's Corner for putting on a great race and making it smooth.  Glad to associate with the store and support the store succeed in this area.


No comments: