Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Hobble Creek Half Marathon - Mike Nelson

Overall Time: 1:08:40
Overall Place: 5th
Place in Age Group - 1st

Hobble Creek half is always a fun, competitive race and this year didn't disappoint. Warmed up 2 miles with Matt, Reed and Jason.

Dave Taylor took it out fast (about a 2:10 800m!) and Brett, Jason, Matt, John Coyle and I followed. Dave came back to us after the first mile. We stayed together for 2 miles and then we slowly started to string out. John had a stitch and pulled off to the bathrooms at 3 and I was alone, trailing Matt for most of the rest of the race.

I felt good but not great so I just went into cruise mode and tried to hold a good pace on my lonely way down the canyon. I held it together pretty well until the hill at 11 which beat me into a submissive 6:00 pace. After it flattened out I was able to get back up to speed and finish strong.

Jacob Howell caught me at 11.5 and politely asked permission to run with me. He was encouraging and helped me through the next mile, after which I couldn't hang with him any more.

Garmin splits: 5:00, 4:59, 5:07, 5:11, 5:17, 5:18, 5:31, 5:17, 5:33, 5:36, 5:40, 5:31, 5:20

No comments: