Sunday, September 28, 2014

Bryce Peterson: Huntsville Marathon

Utah Huntsville Marathon

I didn't have a lot of time to train for this particular race and I didn't really know how it was going to turn out so I thought in the back of my head of the worse case scenario would be to have a good day of training. (mainly the only reason I decided to run this is because they comped my entry since I got second place in the half last year)
This day of all days I didn't even think that I had a chance of winning a race, especially my second Marathon.

I got up early that morning around 4:10 am from the gracious thunder storm that morning. Had my breakfast and got in some sports drink to help keep me hydrated. Took off to the race for a lovely 1 hour+ drive. 

Once I got to Huntsville I didn't think I had a lot of time to get my packet and bib then to get on the bus for the long trek to the start, turns out I was early and I decided to take this great opportunity to go back in the car for a little nap and that I did! (plus it was pouring outside). 
After the nice nap I saw that there was a bus lineup and I went over to the crowd to join the rest of the runners on the bus. 

Along the way I meet some good people to talk to about past experiences of this race and how they thought it was so I a little more prepared for this long race. 
A really cool site to see was that the clouds where covered everything along the way, such a beautiful place to run...
Once we reached the top of about 7K altitude I noticed that we only had about 30 minutes to get ready, I remember thinking "I need at least a good hour to get ready!", and the worse part was that I had to use the bathroom and there was a very long line. So at that point I just said, "forget it, I need somewhat of a warm up". So I only got in about maybe 10 minutes of running and the rest of the time I just got my bib on and timing chip, shoes, some more pre-workout sport drink and GU ready in my arm sleeves :). Which by the way works out really great!  
So I got ready as good I could have with the time I had (Couldn't get any stretching in until I got to the start) since I had only 4 minutes until they where going to start the race. 
To my surprise I couldn't see any elite runners ( to my knowledge) that I recognized. At that point something sparked in my head, way back in my head that maybe I could get in the top 3 if everything goes according to plan. Ever since my last marathon in Seattle I have been worried about the 14th-15 mile. 
So the last 3 minutes only seemed like 1 minute and the race started. 

LET THE RACE BEGIN

Like always some people like to just blast out from the start, which I get a good laugh at. Once we got settled in around the first mile we had a good group of us and my goal was to run 6:30 per mile pace to just make sure I don't go to fast but on this race it drops about 4k in altitude so I was going to have to adjust to the conditions as they went along the race. I felt very comfortable and relaxed as we cruised down for the first 2 miles and I took a sneak peek at my Garmin and it was avg'ing about 6:15 per mile. I was thinking that it was too fast so with the group I was running with I slightly slowed a bit and then about half way through the 2 1/2 mile into the race I noticed something I have never seen before and to be honest was a bit intimidating, about 2 women came to the lead group and I took a look back and noticed 3 more women. At this point I was really worried. I have never experienced something like this before and didn't know how to react in my head ( I was thinking should I go faster, should I stay with them) until something caught my eye once two of women in front, she had a runners corner jersey on (Devra Vierkant) and I wanted to talk to her since we are team mates. While we talked for a little bit I was still feeling very comfortable running 6:15 per mile pace so I decided I was going to stay with this front group. While looking back it seems like the elite girls in the front stayed with us plus one other guy I could see when I took a look back.
After about the 7th-8th mile we had a pretty good gap and it was just me Devra one other girl. I felt like this was the perfect pace for me and while we were talking and I was saying that usually there are guys that go faster they wanted me to go faster but I said, "I am running my own race", since I am not really truly a Marathoner and still haven't had enough experience to play around going a fast pace. It was fun talking with them and sharing stories and I do have to say that they are some amazing runners and I have very high respect for them running/helping me with half the race and if you come across this THANK YOU!! 
While we were getting close to the half way mark 13.1 miles, it seemed like we were slowly picking up the pace and I still felt very smooth and relaxed. It was around that point where the ladies where talking about taking the pace a little slower, but I felt good still and just kept going at the 6:15 pace. But even at around 15-16 mile they were not so far behind me and I honestly didn't know if I was going to get that ahead of them at that point. But while still feeling good at past my mile mark where I shut down before and still feeling able to move forward I was very excited and gained a lot of confidence. 
This was a very happy moment for me as I knew I was going to win this race. 
At around mile 17-18, I was trying to pick up the pace just a little and I was starting to cut off pace to 6:09 and I was able to get it to 6:07 pace as my fastest, but mile 20 came around and I was trying to hold on to 6:03 per mile but since this was the flat part of the race the pain was kicking on and with some rolling hills was very hard to keep the pace for the last 6 miles. I gave it everything I had but I was reading the pace 6:13 and then jumping back and forth to lower and higher 6:13- 6:00's. Trying desperately to get in the high 5 min pace but just didn't have it in the legs. 
This was truly the greatest finish I have ever experienced and there are so many people that cheered for me and the support was fantastic. 
Thinking back I feel like this is how my first marathon should have went but you live and you learn from your mistakes and sometimes things just don't go the way you plan them to be. 
My placing was 1st over all with a time of 2:42:31, not screaming fast but from a 3:03:xx to this time I will take it in a heart beat and think job well done. 
Over all I am very happy and important factors to remember is to never give up your hopes and dreams because experiences like this is from hard work and the right opportunity and you will get the chance. 
Thank you for reading and STAY POSITIVE!
 This is where someone came and make sure I didn't fall on my face haha. 
Here's the Top Male Runners

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a great blog Bryce... You have been training hard for years and you really never have given up. You have been through many obstacles in your life and you just kept preserving through them. Like you said don't give up your dreams--keep working towards them.. Proud of you.. Apply this great attitude and work ethic to your life also and you will succeed.......