Tuesday, November 18, 2014

DomiNATE 5k - Trevor Baker

Overall Place: 11th
Division Place: 4th
Overall Time: 15:52

This was a 5k charity race for Nate Houle, a running acquaintance of mine since I moved to Utah in 06.  He came down with a nasty cancer and it was good to see the community support him.

Race was stacked with all the SUU/UVU kids who just got back from regionals yesterday night.  Some ran hard and some jogged it.  A number of BYU alums showed up too including Rex Shields and Taylor Farnsworth.  Local HS runners had a great showing as well.  Course was good, it was just freezing cold.

Coming into the race, I had low expectations and didn't plan on being able to run much faster than 16:30 due to the lack of training since the last marathon.  Ended up just trailing off the lead pack and running with BJ Christensen for a while and my old team mate Jason Lynch.  Ended up running 15:52 which is the fastest 5k I've had all year.  I love the heavy competition even if I'm not in the best of shape.  Running this made me hungry to lower my 5k PR again which I might have to take a crack at next spring/summer.

Trying to figure out training cycles and plans for the late spring/summer and without those in order, it's hard to stay motivated.  Hoping to solidify some stuff this weekend and next week.

No comments: