Sunday, November 16, 2014

DomiNATE 5k - Amber

I'll be honest, I was pretty nervous for this race, cause I didn't know what to expect!  I haven't run a 5k or anything close to it since June and just started doing speed to get back into shorter race shape last week.  I've felt pretty strong because I run quite a bit of hills and push the jogger a ton, so I was banking on that to get me through, rather than speed.
It was cold and windy at the start and in all the open areas.  The race was pretty stacked on both sides, although quite a bit more on the guys side.  Tons of HS, collegiate, post collegiate & local elites were there to support Nate Houle, another local fast runner & friend that got diagnosed with cancer.  It ended up being really competitive and good for me to push into that shorter distance racing again.  After following the lead girl for about 3/4 of a mile, a couple of Sojourner guy teammates passed us so I decided this was my chance to try to stick with them and take the lead.  They were going quite a bit faster than I wanted/thought I could go, but I stuck with them and they pulled me along through the 2 mile at a good clip.  It helped that it was on a skinny, very turny pathway through the trees and around a large pond, so it seemed like trail run to me and kept me interested.  At the big hill with just less than a mile to go I was able to push it and move even farther ahead luckily before I started struggling between 1/2 mile to go and the last couple hundred meters.  It got pretty windy at this point too.  I pushed to the end and was able to take the win by over a minute and get a great time, although it wasn't easy!  The course was right on for me, by type (hilly, turny, fun, tons of people) and it was right on on distance too, which made me feel even better about my time!  There were tons of Sojourners there supporting Nate and it was a great event all around!  It was awesome to hang out with all the past Utah County high school runners that I ran with, it was like a reunion!  Fun stuff!  #TeamDomiNATE

Overall- 33rd
Women- 1st
Time- 17:29

No comments: