Sunday, November 16, 2014

Tremonton Turkey Trot - Melody

We were up in Brigham City visiting family and I couldn't resist jumping into one if my favorite races if the year - The Tremonton Turkey Trot.  This race is amazing- fast, flat and accurate.  Couple that with a few fast guys from Bear River High and you have a recipe for a great race.  The only drawback is the weather.   I've done it in sunshine, rain, sleet, wind and snow. This year it was pretty cold and windy.  

I really mixed things up this year and didn't warm up.  We got there pretty last minute so I registered and toed the line.  My mother in law requested that I bring a turkey for Thanksgiving this year so I was determined to win my age group 26-39.  

I got a good start and was surprised to see that a lady went out with me.  A half mile later she was still hanging.  We were pushing 5:3x pace so I was shocked... And nervous.  She looked like she was in my age group and I needed that turkey!  Not long after that moment of slight panic she dropped back a little.  We made a turn into the wind and my pace suffered dramatically.  

I caught up to two HS boys and hung with them for a bit.  I tried to draft off of them but their pace was too erratic for me so I went ahead on my own.  

The headwind continued for the rest if the race, but other than that I felt great.  It was a 2014 5k PR!  1st for women, 3rd overall and I got my turkey.  At the awards ceremony the lady came up to me and said she found out she wasn't in my age group (she was 40) and wished she had known that in the race.  I thought, "I wish that too-" and then, "Do I look 40?!"

No comments: