Monday, May 4, 2015

Provo City Half Marathon - Dave

I didn't have high expectations for this race since I had like 12 miles the prior week and only two decent workouts this week, plus I was recovering from the trip to the Philippines. All I wanted to do was go out hard and keep on truckin as long as I could. Well that turned out to be a good strategy. I lined up with Riley and other Dave and figured I might actually make the podium if I could keep a good pace! I saw Scott and Mike on a morning run, looked like they were going to accompany the front guys so woohoo! It was no challenge to jump out front as usual and I stayed there until the first little uphill, then Riley, Mike and Scott passed me (albeit very slowly). I was trying for a 5:10 first mile and I got 5:18 and 5:21 for the first two, so not bad! Then a 5:57 on the flat which seemed a little slow but there was no tailwind this year. On mile 2 as I went into the flat I was passed by Dave Olson, he was really long and slow on stride length. I decided to try it for a while and stuck with him for about .1 just for fun. It didn't feel much different, but a few small muscles were starting to complain so I decided to go back to the quick short style which was a relief.

Then I found The Pace. It was so cool. I was feeling a little tired so I backed off ever so slightly and tried to feel waves of oxygen renewing my legs, and it worked! It felt like I had finally figured out how to run tempo. and I focused on maintaining that feeling without (much) regard for hills. I got a little lacticed by Timp park so I walked a few seconds while drinking a gatorade, that's when I was passed by Brandon. I figured no biggie, I was already off the podium anyway because Robert was out of sight, but I hung with Brandon and passed him, then he passed me, and by 4800 North I was feeling not any more tired at all whereas he had been working pretty hard and had to drop back a little. I decided to try and maintain 4th but not push out of the magic zone, and managed to run a bunch of 6 flats all the way to the end. I figure if I subtract out the walk break and the no wind, I would have broken my record from last year, but close enough. That may be the best workout I have ever done. 1:16:12 4th overall

No comments: