Friday, May 29, 2015

Run for Remembrance 10k Melody


This is a fun free (yes, free) no frills family friendly race in American Fork.  I entered the 10k because I hate tempo runs and I wanted about 6 miles at tempo effort this week.  The only problem was this is a very difficult course!  

I went out with a bunch of HS kids from Herriman.  They were fun to pace with but they all turned off after 2 miles for the 5k course.  From there is was just two guys out in front of me and a beastly climb through the neighborhoods up towards Highland.  

A little before 5 miles I passed Dave T and I really thought he'd blow by me on the downhill.  I picked it up on the last downhill mile but tried not to pound it out and redline it so I could recover quicker.  The effort felt pretty good although definitely not sustainable for a half marathon that was that hilly.  I wove through the 5k crowd the last .25 and almost tripped over some kids standing in finish straightaway but other than that it was a great run and I loved the part when you get to run in the cemetery lined   with flags.  It really did cause me to reflect on the meaning of this day and the freedoms I enjoy.

Unofficially 37:36, 1st for women 

No comments: