Friday, July 10, 2015

Art City Days Nestle 5k 2015

Overall Place: 2nd
Division Place: 1st
Time: 15:40

This race is excellent and having won 3 years in a row adds some pressure to the fun race, which is mostly bc of the prize drawings at the end.  I haven't had the training I've had in the past due to schooling and internships and such, but still wanted to give it a go.

Saw the Moody's and several UVU alum at the start line.  I figured my toughest competition would likely be Derrick and Joe Christensen, coming off a great XC and track season at UVU.  The race was on a new course compared to the past due to construction.  It started out hot and Joe and Chris Claflin took the early lead.  I kind of just held back to see what kind of pace they wanted to set.  We went through the mile in nothing fantastic, like 5:28.  We then separated into a pack of four, Joe, Chris, Me and Rush Mills (another UVU runner).  By 1.5 it was 3 of us and Joe started pushing the pace a little more.  Joe then used the down hill to pull away from me.  I reeled him in and figured I'd hammer a last 400 and be done with another one.  I made a move at 400 to go and Joe covered it, gave it another go at 300, and he covered again and then gave it all I had with 220 to go and he just put me out of my misery.  Joe won in 15:37ish and I was 15:40.  Great race and it was the first time I can remember that I've been out kicked in my career.  Learned the lesson not to get into a kicking battle with a 3:53/1:54 guy.  Onwards and upwards.

Side note, the SOJO Marathon used me as a marketing ad on their Facebook page.  Good publicity for Runner's Corner!


No comments: