Sunday, July 12, 2015

Battle at Big Springs - Dave Taylor

This is a really fun race, one of the best trail courses in Utah. The race was heavily attended and there were a lot of puddles on the road, so I got out front and really cranked it at the beginning. The fast guys stuck on my tail though and about 100 yards into the uphill 3 of them blew right by me, with two more as I came up to the long, long, long field. That grind seems to go forever. But then we are in the trees and it's much nicer. I didn't walk very much, but managed to keep it at about the same pace as last year. Once I hit the top if the hill before the big field, I didn't pass anybody or get passed by anybody behind (although it was close at one point) There was construction up at the top so we had to bail just slightly early, the beginning of the race was lengthened to compensate. Downhill monster was very happy and the first downhill mile was 5:41. I started to see #5 in the distance so I thought I might catch him, but unlike my nephew 2 years ago he was actually trying so even a 4:56 final mile was not enough to do the deed. Although I did get manage to cut his 30 second lead to 2 seconds at the end, if the course had been just 50 yards longer I would have had him! The winner (Taylor) did it in 31:47 or so, I went on a warmdown with him and the second place guy but it turned into a tempo run for me so I bailed :) Some guys just know how to run hills. 36:22, 6th overall.

No comments: