Sunday, October 11, 2015

Race through the 51st Dimension - Dave Taylor

Another trip through Narnia, another rock from the mistakes of others :) Somebody burned a tractor trailer to the pavement on the interstate so two of the competition did not show up. After waiting a bit to see if they would come, they started the race. I did my normal sprint at the beginning but two even faster rabbits passed me! They had some serious form. I didn't feel like doing a 65 quarter so I let them go. And they did, right out of sight. Bryce has been doing some serious hill work over the last year apparently and he passed me at the top of the first little (140 foot) hill. Then it was all me, all by myself. I kept seeing Bryce just tantalizingly out of reach so I figured I could catch him on the downhill. I was also feeling quite strong after Tuesday's ladders - every time I slowed to walk, I found myself in a run again quite quickly. The slow mile went at 14:03, and the fast guys were doing it in 12:30 so I am definitely seeing some benefits.

Anyway, once at the top of Dry I opened it up and tried to catch Bryce, but even with a 4:58 pace for the final .75 I was still about 30 seconds back. The first place guy managed to get lost multiple times though and I ran into him as I made the final left turn to get back down to the road. He just bagged it and decided to turn it in to a long run. The field running was very challenging - a brilliant yellow grassy field with an almost invisible trail going down the middle. I just high-stepped it and hoped there wasn't any rocks :)

The two Indiana guys finally got there and ran it in 1:03:something so technically I should have been 6th but with the traffic and the disorientation I ended up with a rock. Yay!
1:04:47 3rd

No comments: