Sunday, January 10, 2016

BYU Cougar Collegiate Indoor Invitational- 1 Mile (Taylor)

For fear of losing the "speed" I've worked so hard over the years to gain, I've made it somewhat of a tradition to race at least one 1 mile a year since graduating from the Y. Last year, at this same meet, I was 2nd by about a tenth of a second (in the slower section), with a time of 4:26.8. This year I was hoping to dip under 4:20 and knew I could with some decent track workouts over the Christmas break. Unfortunately, there were no available tracks or clear roads up in Pocatello over the break to do any type of speed work besides some tempo on a treadmill... but I still wanted to race!

They put us all in the same heat this year, and the leaders went out hauling with most of the pack through 409 meters in 60 flat. I was way back in about 66, having gone out much too hard the first 200 meters with everyone else. My middle two quarters must have been upper 60's or even above 70! (Yikes!)... but others were fading from the quick early pace too. I passed a couple UVU guys with less than 500 to go. With .2m to go (it's a 5 lap to the mile track), I knew I had to run a 52 (4:20 pace) just to be under 4:30... so I turned on the jets and found that I had a lot left in the tank! My last lap was in 49 seconds (4:05 pace) and I finished in 4:26.8... sound familiar? Yeah... that's cuz its' the same time TO THE TENTH that I ran last year. I was pleased to be under 4:30 with my lack of track work and am anxious to get on the track again soon for another shot at the mile (hopefully after a couple track workouts next time). It was fun to put on my Sojourners/ Runners' Corner singlet again and get in a competitive atmosphere!

No comments: