Monday, April 14, 2014

2014 Timp Shadows 5k

Time: 22:39
Place Overall: 10th
Place Age Group: 3rd

This race is absolutely brutal. It's gorgeous, but brutal. This race was 8 days out from Boston for me so I knew I'd be taking it easy. I still wanted to run it and get the workout but planned on maintaining a marathon effort. It's easy to redline on this course without realizing it because it's so challenging.

I stuck to my game plan and went out conservatively, letting the leaders go. Last year I was able to at least keep them in sight until the singletrack (finishing in 20:30) but this year they disappeared quickly. I maintained my effort throughout the race, slowly fading to the back of a small pack. I was grateful that there was a big gap between myself and the chase group. This helped me avoid pushing too hard.

The "race" was a fun one for me. I was able to just enjoy it and let those in the front do all the competing.

No comments: