Sunday, August 10, 2014

24th Of July

Jen Hughes
Speedy Spaniard 10k

I woke up this morning with a little more nerves than I normally do on a race day. I don't know if it was because I have not raced for a little over a month, or if I was not mentally or physically prepared or in shape for this... But I had to do it because it is tradition. It was the 24th of July 10k.

20140724-204316-74596366.jpg My 1st mile I felt really good. But come the second mile heading into the 3rd, I mentally started to think negatively. I remembered how tired I was for the last 10k of my marathon and it really mentally affected me (I know that sounds weird). I pulled it together for mile 4 and 5 but mile 6 I was tired! I did hold onto a 6:10 pace (my marathon pace :/) and finished off with a 38:23 10k time. It was a minute slower than last year but I know that training for a marathon is so different than the faster 5k, 10k races. I have realized that my 5k-10k races are not as fast but I am ok with that. :) I did take 1st and won $50 cash. That was a bonus.

No comments: