Monday, March 9, 2015

Rex Lee Run 2015- Jason Thomsen

Race season 2015 FINALLY opened up with the Rex Lee Run 5k. I had been involved with the race directing of it for the last 3 years and I was beyond glad to actually get to race it this year. The start line seemed a little different this year and come to find out that we actually started 70-100m further up the road than what the course actually is supposed to be for a 5k (comparing it to the Homecoming 5k in October). I was excited to race on the same course as what I raced my last 5k on because now I could see the fruit of my winter training.  My goal time was a 16:30-16:45 which would be a huge confidence booster leading up to Running of the Leopards in 2 weeks when I shoot for sub 16.

It was good to see Robert Finnicum and Dave Taylor at the line so I knew I was in good company. I also knew Dave Rasmussen was going to be there too so there would be a decent pack at the front. I joked with Dave Taylor that I was going to let him break wind for me the way up the hill because he likes to go out hard. My race plan was also to go out hard and then negative split the second mile. When the gun went off I found my place right behind Dave and I knew Robert would be right behind me. At the Homecoming 5k it was hard to watch Robert slingshot around me and leave me in the dust down the hill so this time I made it a goal to stick with him and push hard down 9th. Going down the hill I was sitting in 6th (5th because someone ghost ran it) and the string of us began to shrink a bit. Once we hit the 2 mile mark it was like we were all stuck in our gears because 4 of us didn't move at all; we all kept the same distance between us. As we were approaching the track and I checked my watch which read pretty close to 15 flat. In my mind I knew I had a huge time coming but it wasn't until with about 150 meters to go and I looked at the finish and saw 15:45 I realized I could beat my high school time of 16:15. As I crossed the finish line I couldn't believe it at first but quickly realized that the course was a bit short. As a few of us gathered around the finish chute we all compared distances and had anything from 3.01 to 3.08.

As much as I want to consider this a 5k PR, I'm reluctant too because I know it wasn't a full 3.1 miles. On the positive side of things, with the course being about 20 seconds short, I would have finished in exactly 16:30 which was right on target for where I wanted to be at this point in my training. Either way, it was a great race and great atmosphere and huge confidence boost to open up the season.

Mile 1- 5:20
Mile 2- 5:15
Mile 3- 5:33

5th Overall out of 1013-- 1st in Age Group



No comments: