Tuesday, June 30, 2015

American Fork Half Marathon - Mike Nelson

Time: 1:07:50
Place: 3rd overall

I spent the night at a cabin of a friend up in the canyon, about a mile from the starting line. So nice to wake up at 5:30 to the sound of the busses coming up the canyon knowing I wasn't on them!

Pre race nutrition included a couple handfuls of dried cranberries and a gatorade. I jogged 1.5 miles for a warm up and did a few strides. I was chatting with Brett at about 5:56, thinking I had a few minutes before the start, when the announcer said: "GO". We weren't even on the line! We sprinted out ahead of the crowed and got started.

My plan was to take the canyon conservatively and try and have some gas at the end. I was going into the race on a full load and was feeling a little heavy.

Brett and a guy from Montana took the first mile out in 4:30! I was just under 5. I ran by effort down the canyon. Averaged around 5:05. Scott met me at mile 7 and we ran together for 4 miles, very nice to have company during the toughest part of the race.

I was planning on being around 5:05 average at mile 9, when the steep stuff was over and then try and hang on for the rest. I came through at 5:07 pace. So, pretty close. I felt good throughout and was able to keep a decent pace the rest of the race.

Came out just under 1:08, which is a big PR, even though it's about as aided as you can get.

Cooled down 4 miles with Scott and Brett and enjoyed the french toast breakfast with Brett and his family. Very glad I did this one.

Splits: 4:58, 5:16, 5:16, 5:07, 5:02, 4:56, 5:06, 5:04, 5:23, 5:18, 5:30, 5:17, 5:24

No comments: