Saturday, June 27, 2015

Lavender Days 5k

I had little confidence going into this race because I got plantar fasciitis last week and was only able to go running once. However, on Thursday I watched McFarland USA and got pumped back up (great movie on so many levels). So I decided to have a good attitude about this race which I wouldn't have done except I had already registered for it.

It's a pretty early race for a 5k (7am) and I barely made it before they started. I didn't have time to use the port-a-pottie and then I realized when the gun went off that I forgot to tie one of my shoes. I thought everything was stacking against me, but then about a mile into the race I noticed that my shoe wasn't getting looser, I didn't have to pee anymore, and most importantly, I felt strong. I caught up to Trevor Baker just past the first mile marker and then ran with him for a while. Then I caught up to Clark and ran with him for a bit too. For the last half mile I pulled ahead since I was feeling good and came in at 16:28. I really don't know why I was worried. I think the week off acted more as a taper than anything. The win really meant a lot to me. My goal in running is to reach my potential and feel satisfied with my performance. I feel like over the past year I am finally getting closer to reaching that goal. I have actually been telling myself that if I could ever beat Trevor, then it would be a real marker getting to that point. I was stoked about the win, but I know it wasn't a great day for Trevor and I look forward to toeing the line with him again when he is on his A game. Also, always fun racing with Clark. I don't think I have ever met a runner who puts in a solid performance as consistently as him.  Melody also deserves a shout-out for what was undoubtedly the best performance of the race.

Place: 1st (of 800ish)
Time: 16:28

No comments: