Sunday, August 16, 2015

Hobble Creek - Emily Barrett

Time: 1:19.45
Place: 2nd


Going into this race, I had one big goal--go under 1:20. A PR! So, thankfully, that got accomplished, even though the rest of the race didn't go according to my ideal plan.  I learned a lot though, and it was a great experience.

My game plan was to roll down the canyon at around 5:50's, and with a little help from some fellow co-workers and racing team members, that went pretty smoothly till about mile 7.  After mile 7, I was pretty much on my own, and the one twingy hamstring I had felt at the beginning of the race had turned into two progressively tightening hamstrings. That was about when Janae passed me, and I like to think that on a better day I would have gone with her, but the hamstrings weren't having it.

Anyways, the support from everyone--my family, my coworkers, Hawk, and of course, my wonderful husband--made it a great experience.  I learned some good lessons (like I have got to figure out how to eat and drink while running without getting it ALL OVER myself), and to not have big workouts too close to races (hence the hamstring tightness), and some other big lessons I'm glad to learn before the big one, because St. George is coming up fast!

No comments: